Monday, May 16, 2016

final book review


This month I read We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach. This book was written in four different points of view, all in third person. This was kind of hard for me because I had to keep checking what person I was reading about. The two girl characters (Eliza and Anita) were also kind of similar so I never knew which girl was who. However, the two main character boys (Peter and Andy) are completely different. Peter is a popular, sporty jock guy. Andy is a "loser," druggie, not smart kind of kid. All of these different characters stories intertwine when they realize that there is a 2/3 chance of the entire world ending in 8 weeks. They all try to make the best of their lives just in case they actually do die. 

The best part of this book is the writing itself. Tommy Wallach is a very good writer, but not a very good story teller. I really did not enjoy the plot of this book. One of the main characters dies, and I feel like their death was completely unnecessary. After I got past that point in the book, I really did not feel like reading anymore. Someone told me this is a book for people that do not like fairy tale happy endings. I definitely believe them now. 

There also was a romance aspect to the book as well. I figured there would be because it is the end of the world and everyone is scrambling to find their "special someone" to spend it with. However I don't think those relationships were actually realistic. In real life, the popular jock would never leave his cheerleader girlfriend for the unpopular photography student who sleeps around. That is just not how it works. Peter would have stayed with his girlfriend and everyone knows that. 

Overall, this book was okay. It was not the "best philosophical book of 2015" or anything like that. The writing was not the "most beautiful writing" I have ever experienced. It was just... okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment