Friday, March 11, 2016

blog #8 - opinions and thoughts about the articles

Jonathan Franzen on YA, Genere, Women Writers

To start things off, I do not like Johnathan Franzen. He is a very sassy guy and he thinks he is very important. I do not like authors like that. This picture I found on Google makes him look like thins rich guys in NYC who stays in his apartment and writes for like 20 hours a day and runs on coffee. I just googled where he lives, and I was correct. He lives in the Upper East Side. Anyways, it is very clear that he hates Jennifer Weiner in this interview, he doesn't hide it. He says "she's an unfortunate person to have as a spokesperson." Well Johnathan, that's not cool. The things he is saying about her makes me want to lock them in a room together until they make up and be friends. It worked in Parks and Recreation so it should be able to work in real life. 

Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Weiner Speak Out On Franzen Feud
2010-08-24-jw2009.jpg   2010-08-24-17.jpg

I think these two women authors are awesome. They're just speaking out (well. mostly Weiner is speaking) about the difficulties of being a female author. They are totally right. If a girl writes a book about feelings than it's "chick lit." If a male author does this than its "amazing insightful literature." How is that fair? 

Against YA: Read what you want. But you should feel embarrassed when you're reading was written for children.

Okay first, what a sucky title. It's contradicting. They start off with "read what you want" THEN say you should be embarrassed if you're reading books meant for younger audiences. That doesn't make much sense to me. Second, I firmly believe that you should read whatever you want. If you're 50 and you want to read middle grade, do it. If you're in the age group of 30-44 and you want to read YA, do it. I personally love YA. Even though most of them have the same plot, they are mostly happy endings which is why they're great.

No comments:

Post a Comment